Wednesday, October 13, 2010

TRADITION VS. ESSENTIALS

TRADITIONS VS. ESSENTIALS
BLOG HOST, 10-13-2010
HOST:  JAY MARTIN
Mark 7

            In our reading today, Jesus criticizes the religious leaders because they have traded obedience for lip service, and have replaced God’s essentials with the traditions of men.  Even their worship has become meaningless, because their heart isn’t in it.

            We may think these conditions are limited only to the religious leaders of Jesus’ day, and yet, if we are not careful, we are becoming the “new” religious leaders of today.  Here are some questions to help us make sure we are not missing God’s best in worship, obedience and the essentials:

1.      Do I ever enter a praise service, and go through the motions of singing or lifting my hands, without my heart really being engaged?

2.      Do I have to have the right mood for worship, ie., dimmed lights and my favorite style of music?

3.      Do I cut corners in serving God in any area of my life?

4.      Does my heart truly break for the lost, and am I actively involved with reaching my community?

5.      Was there ever a time I was closer to God than I am right now?

6.      Have I ever made it difficult for a lost person to find Jesus through my actions?

7.      When I am with Christians, do I tend to talk more about God than I do when I am with lost people?

8.      Do the sins of people offend me and keep me from showing the sinner love?

9.      Is there any tradition I have elevated above an essential in God’s word?

10.  When people see my life, are they reminded of Jesus Christ?

Dear Lord, help us not to be critical of the “old” religious leaders, and subtlety become
the “new” religious leaders.  Help us remember that we approach you with empty hands, and it is only through Your grace that we have been changed.  Help us represent You well to the lost, so that they will want to come to You!  In Jesus’ Name.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment