Friday, October 15, 2010

Stop Talking. Listen.

Scripture: Mark 9:1-50
Blog Host: Steve Flores

I want to bring special attention to the story found in verses 2-8 – titled the Transfiguration.  I find Peter’s interjection quite comical.  I can’t imagine what was going through his head at that moment, but I can only speculate that he wasn’t really thinking.  Peter has wild ideas and doesn’t seem to be on the same track as Jesus some of the time.  Early on, in the book of Matthew, Peter tries to walk on water and fails, then Jesus calls him Satan, and near the end of the book Peter cuts  off a guys ear  – a little zealous and awkward.   This moment, on the mountain with Jesus, Peter has another wild idea.

Jesus was talking to two dead people – Moses and Elijah.  We don’t really know what they were discussing, but it’s got to be important.  Then, in a moment of zealousness, Peter pipes in, “Hey!  Jesus!  Isn’t it great that we’re here?!  Let me make three tents, one for each of you!” 

I just laugh as I picture this guy barging into a conversation suggesting to build tents!  The Bible says, verse 6, “For he did not know what to say,” he was afraid at what he saw.

It’s like CEO’s of a large organization discussing business and I barge into the room saying, “Hey everyone!  I bet you’re glad I’m here!!  Would you like me to book you a room at the Hampton Inn?!”  It’s insensitive to the current conversation, amazingly inappropriate, and just awkward. 

I love God’s response.  Notice not Jesus’ response, but God’s responding to Peter’s awkward interjection (my interpretation of verse 7), “Peter, shut up and listen.” 

How often do we talk too much during prayer?  Do we read scripture and quickly come to a conclusion rather than reflecting and listening?  Or, in real day to day living, do we quickly become a problem-solver instead of an active-listener?  Take a lesson from this passage today – listen.  I want to share with you something really deep (sarcasm): Minimizing talk time maximizes listen time.   If you don’t know what to say, listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment