Monday, October 4, 2010

are you a sheep....or goat?

verses:  Matthew 25.31-46

In this passage, I believe Jesus is speaking of His Second Coming, when all the nations will be judged.....and there are two categories:  sheep and goats.  I really like these verses because it proves that a Christian life cannot be lived in isolation from the world.  Jesus describes sheep as the people who God has put His "come on into heaven" stamp of approval on.  But then he explains why:  "I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room..............".  Jesus is not saying we make it to heaven on "good works" and charity alone, but He is saying that as a life devoted to Him, is a life devoted to expressing His love to others.

He goes on to talk about the goats, and says "Get out, worthless goats! You're good for nothing but the fires of hell. And why? Because......I was hungry and you gave me no meal, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink......".  And the most powerful of these verse is when Jesus says "Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me."  WOW!!

God, give us Your eyes and heart, that we will never overlook the needs of our world.....and fail You!

-Dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment