Saturday, October 2, 2010

No Hype for the Hypocrite

Blog Host: Steve Flores
Scripture reading: Matthew 24:29-51

I apologize for not posting this one yesterday.

I want to focus on verses 50-51, "the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know and will cut him in pieces and put him with the hypocrites. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Jesus spoke plainly about his evident disappointment and frustration with hypocrites.  But, I believe this is the first time he spoke of where they might find themselves.  It's not a pretty place.  It's far from satisfying and pleasurable. I believe this was a reality check to those who made themselves out to be something they really were not.  These people, hypocrites, Jesus says does greater damage to God's kingdom.

hyp·o·crite noun \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\ 
1. a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2. a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings 

Lord, let my words and proclamation, "I'm a Christian," match how I actively live - in the good, stressful, disappointing, and frustrating moments. Let me look more like Jesus and less like Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment