Sunday, September 5, 2010

Treasure and Faith

Treasure and Faith
Matthew 6:19-34

We've all probably read this passage a hundred times or more. Jesus talks about storing up treasure in Heaven, then tells us not to worry about the daily things of life.  I think it's easy to see that "treasure" can refer to money or stuff (Jesus says that in v. 24), but I also see time as a treasure.

I don't think any of us realized when we were children just how good we had it. Go to school, maybe do a few chores and some homework, and that was it. If we wanted to play outside, play video games, or just do whatever, we had plenty of time to do it. Think of your lives now. I know mine especially, I leave for work at 7:30 most days and don't get home until 7:30. When I get in, I eat, try to spend a little time with Laura, sleep, and do it all over again. Then on my "off day", there's yard work to do, bills to go pay, some of you have children to pick up and take places...you can see where I am going with this. The older we get (at least, until retirement), it seems the less time we have. I've been really excited the past two weeks for Thursday to be my off day so that I can make it to Metro on those nights. That happens to be a good chunk of my "time", but I'm glad to spend it hanging out with the kids, being a friend to them and sharing Jesus' love with them.

The second half of this passage deals with worry. Now I know the title of my post is treasure and faith. I'll admit, I've had a very, very narrow focus on this part of the passage. Every time I read it, I get stopped at the end of v. 30 where Jesus says "Oh you of little faith".

But Jesus, I'm human! and worry is just human nature, right? The fear of the unknown? Everybody worries!

Flash forwards to Acts 2:45. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.
Now, I know it had to have taken an AMAZING amount of faith to do that and know that God would provide for their needs. But I think what we over look is that these guys were with Jesus when he was here on Earth. Of course they have amazing faith! They saw first hand what Jesus is capable of. I don't think they gave clothes or food a second thought. And here's where it really starts hitting me.

I pray a lot for more faith. I think we all do. But let's get things in the right order. The apostles spent years with Jesus, and look at the faith they had. For me at least, this tells me I need to seek God more, and spend more time in His presence. If I know God more, and my faith will increase, so that I can be used by God more.

God, help us to use our resources to store up treasure in Heaven. And help us to seek you more every day, so that we may see you and the works that you do in our lives and in other's lives. And when we see you, increase our faith in you God, so that we may be used by you however you lead us. Amen.

Ray Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment