Monday, September 27, 2010

How do feel about Christ?

Matthew 22:18-45
I love watching how Jesus handles confrontation…..maybe because he handles it so well and I so poorly.  This passage is mostly made up of Jesus being tried and his responses to it.  It is here where Jesus said the 3 verses that we all know and learned in our “Ten for Life”:  "37Jesus replied:  'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[b] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"  I love this scripture, but it’s not what I am going to focus on.
Jesus asked a simple question in this passage that, for some reason, burned in my mind.  As the Pharisees were harassing Him, He asked them 42"What do you think about the Christ[d]? Whose son is he?"  He didn’t ask them this because He was having an identity crisis.  He was trying to make a point.  But it made me ask the question, “What do I think of Christ?”  And I may be taking this completely out of context, but this is what this question means to me.  I know that ‘who Jesus is to me’ doesn’t change His identity.  No matter what we think about Jesus, He, and all His perfect attributes remain unchanged.  But what do we really think of Him? 
I think we are asked this question every day….maybe not verbally, but through challenges we are faced with, people we interact with, and just life.  I think “How we feel about Christ” is mirrored by our actions, our words, and our attitude.  And again, I may be digressing from the actual lesson of this passage, but this is what was sparked in me.
I challenge us to ask ourselves to “What do we think of Christ”.  Of course He is Jesus, Son of God, our Savior.  But really dive into who He is and what He has done for you.  So when people see us live our lives, or maybe when we are asked, there is no question about “What we think of Christ".
-Dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment