Monday, September 20, 2010

Matthew 18.2-14

Matthew 18.2-14
Sometimes I don’t think we realize the gravity of our words and actions and the impact they can have on those watching.  Jesus put a heavy weight on the words and actions of His apostles, and uses a strong and straight-forward example to explain their significance:  6 “But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.”  Jesus really knew how to sugarcoat things, huh?  It’s a huge responsibility we inherit when we become Christ-followers.  So next time we’re at Metro or anywhere were we have an influence on others (everywhere), we should just visualize ourselves with a big rock tied around our neck, sinking to the bottom of the ocean…..hey that’s what Jesus said, not me!
Jesus continues with more powerful words about our sin, and how we should discard or destroy anything that gets between us and righteousness, even if that means losing an eye.  But this passage ends with Jesus telling us how important we are to Him and how excited He is when one of his children comes back to Him.
Jesus, give me the strength and wisdom to stay pure and righteous in Your sight, so that You will be pleased by my words and actions, and that not one person will stumble because of me, but instead will find You, fall in love with You and become a life-long follower of You.  Thanks for loving me even when I stumble, and celebrating when I come back. 
- Dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment