Monday, November 29, 2010

love to be hated?

I have spent the majority of my life striving to be loved.  Don’t get the wrong idea…..my life has always been filled with people who love me, but I couldn’t stand the thought of someone disliking me.  It drove me crazy!  At school, I went out of my way and did things I wouldn’t normally do so that people would like me.  At church, I would put on a face so people would like me.  I would spend my days paranoid at the thought of someone disliking me. 
As I read this:  18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you”……..I don’t think this is saying that we should desire for everyone to hate us, but I do believe it is saying that we do not belong to this world.  It’s obvious that our world doesn’t love Christ.  So, if I am living like Christ, should everyone love me?  If the world does love me, I may need to reevaluate my life.   Shouldn’t I be focused on being more like Christ and showing His love to the world, instead of focusing on whether or not people love me?  Shouldn’t my desire be impressing Christ rather than impressing the world?  If I am being like Christ, there are people who aren’t going to like me, and I’m OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment