Monday, November 22, 2010

are we excited?

scripture:  john 6.5-70

The disciples and those following Jesus got to be first-hand witnesses to Jesus performing a mind-blowing miracle when He fed 5,000 with a few loafs and a couple of fish.  But the more mind-blowing part of this for me is that the next day, when Jesus told them “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.", the crowd grumbles and responds with "How can you be the Son of God....This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"  It says "66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him."  REALLY!!  After such an amazing miraculous experience, your still not excited about this Jesus?  What is it going to take?  How can you not be excited about following Christ?

We're supposed to talk about what these scriptures mean to us personally, and I know I'm seriously digressing from what this passage is conveying, but I want to tell you the challenge I received from this personally.  So many church services I have left excited about being a life long follow of Jesus and telling others about Him.  So many camps I returned from "on fire" for for Christ.  Then a month, and week, or a day later....yeah I say I love Him, but I'm not as excited.  I think we've all been there. 

I started thinking, if I do not have a constant excitement about following Christ and that excitement is not expressed through my love and actions to others, do I truly know Christ and the hope that comes through a relationship with Him?  Do I have the joy that comes with knowing Him, if people can't see it?  If my faith isn't daily growing and obvious to those around me, have I really given my life over to the One who died to give me a hope of eternity with Him....and therefore, can I call myself a Christian.  Question:  Are we TRULY excited?

dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment